SubjectRe: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
> And you do have to realize that Linux has been using gcc for a _loong_
> while. You can talk all you want about how "inline" is just a hint, but
> the fact is, it didn't use to be. gcc people _made_ it so, and are having
> a damn hard time admitting that it's causing problems.

The kernel has used:
# define inline inline __attribute__((always_inline))

For a looong time.

So anyone in the kernel when they said "inline" actually
said to gcc: if you have any possible way to do so inline this

Now we have a config option that changes this so inline is only
a hint. gcc does not pay enough attention to the hint,
especially compared to the days where the hint was actually a command.