    SubjectRe: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
    > And you do have to realize that Linux has been using gcc for a _loong_
    > while. You can talk all you want about how "inline" is just a hint, but
    > the fact is, it didn't use to be. gcc people _made_ it so, and are having
    > a damn hard time admitting that it's causing problems.

    The kernel has used:
    # define inline inline __attribute__((always_inline))

    For a looong time.

    So anyone in the kernel when they said "inline" actually
    said to gcc: if you have any possible way to do so inline this

    Now we have a config option that changes this so inline is only
    a hint. gcc does not pay enough attention to the hint,
    especially compared to the days where the hint was actually a command.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-09 22:01    [W:0.018 / U:11.368 seconds]