SubjectRe: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:35:06PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> - Also inline everything static that is only called once
> [on the theory that this shrinks code size which is true
> according to my measurements]
>
> -fno-inline-functions-called once disables this new rule.
> It's very well and clearly defined.

It's also not necessarily what we want. For example, in fs/direct-io.c,
we have:

static ssize_t
direct_io_worker(int rw, struct kiocb *iocb, struct inode *inode,
const struct iovec *iov, loff_t offset, unsigned long nr_segs,
unsigned blkbits, get_block_t get_block, dio_iodone_t end_io,
struct dio *dio)
{
[150 lines]
}

ssize_t
__blockdev_direct_IO(int rw, struct kiocb *iocb, struct inode *inode,
struct block_device *bdev, const struct iovec *iov, loff_t offset,
unsigned long nr_segs, get_block_t get_block, dio_iodone_t end_io,
int dio_lock_type)
{
[100 lines]
retval = direct_io_worker(rw, iocb, inode, iov, offset,
nr_segs, blkbits, get_block, end_io, dio);
[10 lines]
}

Now, I'm not going to argue the directIO code is a shining example of
how we want things to look, but we don't really want ten arguments
being marshalled into a function call; we want gcc to inline the
direct_io_worker() and do its best to optimise the whole thing.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2009-01-09 20:31    [W:0.250 / U:0.092 seconds]