    SubjectRe: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
    Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > One interpretation of the numbers would be that core kernel hackers are
    > more inline-happy, maybe because they think that their functions are more
    > important to inline.
    >
    > Which is generally a fair initial assumption, but according to the numbers
    > it does not appear to pay off in practice as it does not result in a
    > smaller kernel image.

    I think people over-use inline for the opposite reason.

    They are taught:
    - use inline functions instead of macros
    - inlining functions makes your code run faster

    They also know inlining may increase program object size.
    That inlining will reduce object size on many architectures
    if the function is small is just a happy side effect to them.

    jim

      Last update: 2009-01-09 15:05    [W:4.589 / U:0.564 seconds]