SubjectRe: FPGA programming driver architecture
> > > Hi,
> > > I have written some code to program a FPGA in Linux, for two
> > > different types of boards: one uses a serial interface (SPI) and
> > > the second a parallel interface. I have been able to sucessfully
> > > program both boards. I'm now trying to clean my code and make it
> > > more generic, as well as better in line with the Linux driver
> > > model.

Considering the several FPGA models available and ways to program it,
I guess the important thing to consider is what can be made generic.
(that is what will become fpgaload)

Also, there may be cases where after FPGA is programmed it "becomes a
device" (PCI or whatever)

> > - fpgaload-core which contains all the code that can be shared
> > between the drivers like requesting firmware, providing sysfs
> > attributes,
> > - fpgaload-spi would handle the low-level SPI connection
> > - fpgaload-par would handle the low-level parallel connection

I think this maybe split into three layers (maybe)

1 - low level connection: paralell / spi / i2c / whatever
2 - vendor: xylinx, altera, etc
3 - generic stuff

Take a look at the MTD and SPI drivers and how they split things

Thiago Galesi

  Last update: 2009-01-08 23:17    [W:0.085 / U:0.056 seconds]