SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] Recent change to kernel spikes out ccache/distcc
>>> Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> 07.01.09 06:10 >>>
>On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:15:26AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> Or, if that's too complicated, maybe it would be worthwhile to have
>> kbuild create its own specialized ccache system? Note that the last two
>> solutions rule out using distcc, unless we can encapsulate the build
>> process from a series of Makefile macros to a shell or C program, which
>> could then be injected to the remote host system to be executed by
>> distcc. One value of doing that is the CRC or MD5 of the shell script
>> could be used as the version tag for the cache system.
>
>Ho-hum... Could somebody explain why the hell had we switched to this
>"intermediate .s" approach, anyway? It's not as if we couldn't run
>objcopy after what we used to do...

Because objcopy wouldn't remove the __crc_* symbols the way the
object files were generated previously. I explored all possibilities I could
think of, with that two step process being the last, but the only one that
had the intended effect. In the end I queried the binutils list, and got
confirmation that there's no (existing) way to get rid of symbols used in
relocations in an already existing object file without corrupting it.

Jan

  Last update: 2009-01-07 09:51    [W:0.259 / U:0.168 seconds]