SubjectRe: Data corruption issue with splice() on 2.6.27.10
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:53:56PM +1100, Herbert Xu (herbert@gondor.apana.org.au) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 01:52:01PM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> > Evgeniy, I'd like to understand something related to our apparent lack of
> > knowledge of when the data is effectively transmitted. If we're focusing
> > on the send part, I can't understand why I never reproduce the corruption
> > when the data source is a file or loopback, but I only see it when the source
> > is an ethernet interface. How is it possible that a problem affecting only
>
> It doesn't happen with a file because in that case you don't
> start with an skb so there is no skb->head. It probably doesn't
> happen with loopback because loopback does GSO so again skb->head
> does not exist (so to speak).

Yup, basically splice's transmit pipe buffer contains page references,
where the first one is actually not a real page but skb, while in the
case of sendfile() and/or splice() from the file first page is a real
page of the appropriate file.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov

  Last update: 2009-01-07 14:01    [W:0.078 / U:0.172 seconds]