SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] Recent change to kernel spikes out ccache/distcc
>>> Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> 07.01.09 12:31 >>>
>What is the gain/pain ratio here?

Certainly depends on the pov - it reduces the kernel module (disk) image
sizes quite a bit, so from a distro perspective its a move against the ever
growing package sizes (and the disk space) hundreds or even thousands
of modules require.

>Would it be a possibility to drop stripping off the
>crc symbols and go back to the ld method that
>is more ccache friendly?

That's certainly a possibility, but I have to admit that I'd like to keep the
option - a respective config option could default to 'no' if the build issues
are considered more significant. I'm really not that much worried about
adding another config parameter here...

>We would still benefir from all the other stripping done - no?

Yes.

Jan

  Last update: 2009-01-07 13:37    [W:0.071 / U:1.320 seconds]