SubjectRe: [GIT]: Networking
From
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:37:58 -0800 (PST)

> > The default is extremely strict, which makes me check things out by
> > hand. That's good, but as I add the change by hand after verifying
> > it's sanity I often make mistakes that result in things like the above
> > missed delete, so if I could ask git to be non-strict it would help me
> > out a lot.
>
> Yeah, I know, "git am" really is very strict, and sometimes annoyingly so.
> But it _can_ be overridden. And if the other end uses git to generate the
> patch, you can also do a three-way apply, which really tends to work. But
> that requires that the patch have the SHA1 ID's of the original blobs (and
> that you have those blobs - ie that the patch was really generated against
> something you already had)

That wouldn't have helped me in this case at all.

I had 4 firmware patches to apply, each one had to add entries
to the same file.

The first patch had to be skipped.

So the second one, which is the first one I added (which is the acenic
bogon with the missed delete), is the one GIT wouldn't take but patch
would.

GIT blobs wouldn't give me any help here, but I suppose the fuzz stuff
might have.

I really just want stupid 'patch' behavior. I'll check the result
carefully, so just apply the thing instead of making me jump through
hoops. :-)

  Last update: 2009-01-06 05:53    [W:0.038 / U:0.168 seconds]