    SubjectRe: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
    On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, David Newall wrote:

    > david@lang.hm wrote:
    >> so are you saying that other 'correct' OS's have patches issued every
    >> time a leap second is declared so that they have an in-kernel table of
    >> them to use to calculate the correct time?
    >
    > No. Exactly the contrary. I'm saying that through use of zoneinfo, for
    > example, no kernel support is required for leap seconds. And! this
    > provides correct results for seconds-between two dates.

    then new zoneinfo files need to be sent out every time there is a leap
    second (which from other posts on this thread is potentially every month)

    and if it is something to be fixed in zoneinfo, then complaining to the
    kernel list and demanding that 'Linux be fixed' is not productive.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2009-01-05 00:31    [W:0.021 / U:29.996 seconds]