SubjectRe: scheduler nice 19 versus 'idle' behavior / static low-priority scheduling

On Friday 2009-01-30 07:40, Nathanael Hoyle wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 07:16 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
>The one discussion I saw referencing SCHED_BATCH seemed to imply that it
>was a non-standard kernel patch by Con Kolivas in one of his -ck
>variants that never made it into mainline and is not being maintained.
>Is this inaccurate?

The presence of SCHED_BATCH in linux/sched.h tells me it is available
(on the other hand, SCHED_ISO, also from -ck, is only listed as a comment.)

>I was unfamiliar with SCHED_IDLE. Having done a little Googling now, I
>finally find reference to the man page for sched_setscheduler(2). This
>appears that it is likely what I wanted.
>
>I think the information I had been able to find was somehwat out of
>date.

The manpage does say it, but if your local distro does not
mention SCHED_BATCH/SCHED_IDLE, then that's a pretty sad distro.

The doc in sched_setschedule seems complete to me as of man-pages 3.13.

>Is there currently a standardized userspace tool to use to run a command
>in order to alter its scheduling class? Obviously writing one would be
>trivial, but didn't know if something like:

man chrt

  Last update: 2009-01-30 08:23    [W:0.061 / U:0.052 seconds]