SubjectRe: Switching from (deprecated) IDE driver -> SATA (PATA support)
Date
Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>> One final question, without udev, how does one determine the UUID of
>>> a non-XFS
>>> partition, e.g., swap?
>>>
>> One uses blkid. Which suggests that you can solve your name problem by
>> not using names and switching to UUID.
>
> This will fix the /etc/fstab issue but not LILO/boot one, per the
> earlier poster, need an initrd/etc for that.

Good point, I have not used LILO since about Slackware 8.1, or any system w/o
initrd in ages. I suppose there is a benefit to running without initrd, but I
confess that I can't remember what it is. So I don't immediately consider the
issues and limitations if you run without initrd.

Well I answered how to GET the UUID, he didn't ask me how to USE it. And I
certainly didn't think of it, even though the info was there. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2009-01-30 00:47    [W:1.632 / U:0.508 seconds]