SubjectRe: [RT] [RFC] simple SMI detector
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 13:12 +1100, Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:

> I envision documentation of these specs, in a similar fashion to the
> manner in which CPU clock-cycles are documented for specific instruction
> executions - for those systems eligible (certified?) for low-latency
> operation.

I'd love to see a generic API that OS's could use to interface with
BIOS-level SMI implementations. Something provided in ACPI data. For all
I know, there already is something generic, but I've not heard of it?
It'd be really nice to have generic functions like:

disable_random_vendor_extensions_crap()
disable_all_non_essential_smis()

or whatever else.

> Providing benchmarking tools is definitely an excellent step in that
> direction (imo) - thanks.

Yeah. The more of this stuff, the better I think. So if someone wants to
help me polish what I posted then cool - it's in our "MRG" internal tree
already in the current form since we're only using it for debugging now.

Jon.

  Last update: 2009-01-25 22:41    [W:1.901 / U:0.008 seconds]