    SubjectRe: BISECTED: 2.6.29-rc2 regression: hibernation hang on eeepc-701
    Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Friday 23 January 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    >>> OK, it won't hurt to apply it.
    >>>
    >>> Still, the hardware or the BIOS in your box seems to be broken, or both, so I'd
    >>> like to debug it a bit more if you don't mind.
    >>>
    >>> Can you please test the patch below instead of the previous one?
    >>>

    >> It hangs at the same point as the unpatched RC2. As before, it doesn't
    >> hang if I use "shutdown" instead of "platform".
    >>
    >> Going by sysfs, I have 4 PCI devices without a kernel driver.
    >>
    >> 8086:2592 Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller
    >> 8086:2792 Mobile 915 Express Graphics Controller (driven by X)
    >> 8086:2448 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
    >> 8086:2641 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
    >>

    > The bridges shouldn't be affected, so I bet on the graphics.
    >
    > It seems that the BIOS doesn't expect it to be in D3 while entering S4,
    > although it apparently doesn't mind it to be in D3 while entering S3.
    >
    > I blame the Asus BIOS writers. ;-)

    Wouldn't Windows normally put it into D3? There are many reports of
    successful hibernation under Windows on this hardware. The motivation
    being that S3 drains the battery in <24 hours. (Fewer people hibernate
    on linux because you only have a 4G SSD, so a swap partition wastes a
    lot of space, and most installers can't set up swap files).

    Also it sounds like it would break when the linux kernel mode setting
    driver is used. I thought kernel mode setting was going to make suspend
    _more_ reliable :-).

    So in the long term I think we either need to find a more specific root
    cause, or implement a PCI quirk for this quirky machine.

    Thanks
    Alan

      Last update: 2009-01-24 12:13    [W:2.234 / U:23.808 seconds]