SubjectRe: System clock runs too fast after 2.6.27 -> 2.6.28.1 upgrade

* john stultz <johnstul@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> > * john stultz <johnstul@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >> I'd think this would ideally be more of a subarch in the config
> >> selection like the AMD Elan is, so folks know it really is not just a
> >> extra-support feature and in fact limits what hardware you can use the
> >> resulting kernel on.
> >
> > a better solution is that if RDC is set [it is unset by default] we should
> > turn PIT_TICK_RATE into a variable, defaulting it to 1193182. If a real
> > RDC or ELAN system is running, that variable is changed during early
> > bootup, in the init functions for those platforms.
>
> Took a quick look at this, and I don't see any detection code for either
> RDC. The X86_ELAN config also has no conditionals, but maybe the elan
> cpufreq code can help here.

i'd suggest to just remove the #ifdef for now (it's causing problems) and
add the variable - we can add the quirks for those two platforms later on,
separately from your patch(es).

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-01-24 10:17    [W:0.190 / U:0.044 seconds]