SubjectRe: [patch 016/104] epoll: introduce resource usage limits
From
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:06:31AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> If everyone, or every distribution at least, has to change it then the
> default is probably wrong. The error message in the postfix logs didn't
> immediately point me at the issue, especially since I tried debugging on
> one of our "production" mxes, only to discover that the epoll limit
> didn't exist there. They're slightly behind in kernel versions.
>
>> > I guess Postfix is a bit of an odd case here. It runs lots of
>> > processes, yet uses epoll within many of them as well - sort of
>> > a historical design in some ways, but also to enforce maximum
>> > privilege separation with many of the daemons able to
>> > be run under chroot with limited capabilities.
>> >
>> > So I guess I have a few questions left:
>> >
>> > 1) is this value ever supposed to be hit in practice by
>> > non-malicious software? If not, it appears 128 is too low.
>>
>> It does appear a bit low. What looks to you like a good value to use as
>> a default?
>
> This thread suggests that it's not just postfix having the issue, and
> offers 1024 as a saner default:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-kernel-list@redhat.com/msg01618.html
>
> There's also a Russian thread that pointed me at this patch in the first
> place, and another place that suggested 1024 as well. Seems "the
> cloud"[tm] is converging on 1024.

With the default limit of 128 (max_user_instances) and 274274
(max_user_watches) on my machine, the maximum amount of memory
consumed by one user's epoll instances is barely noticable (around
1.5M).

Raising the max_user_instances to 512 brings us up to a maximum memory
usage of 43M already. However, from here on, we are already getting
limited by the number of user watches.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it

  Last update: 2009-01-24 09:39    [W:0.218 / U:0.148 seconds]