SubjectRe: How to generate a Kerntypes file?
From
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Cliff Wickman <cpw@sgi.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:59:34PM +0800, jidong xiao wrote:
>> Hi,All,
>>
>> Sometimes when I install a kernel I saw there is a Kerntypes file
>> installed under /boot directory, but sometimes no, I remember when I
>> install a sles9 kernel, there must be a Kerntypes file installed, but
>> most of other kernels doesn't include such a Kerntypes file. This file
>> is very useful for me to do some analysis, so I hope I can generate it
>> every time I build a kernel. Do I need a patch for this or there are
>> already some patches I can take use of?Thanks.
>
> You had a init/kerntypes.c in sles9 and sles10. It included a lot
> of basic kernel types. It was compiled with -g to make the kerntypes.
> I presume that you used the LKCD project's lcrash with the kerntypes.

Hi, Cliff,

Thanks for your guides.

Well yes I am intending to use lcrash to load the kernel debug information.

I noticed that recently kdb is going to be able to print out kernel
structures, and now I want to test that feature, I started my
experiments by reading the instructions inside
kdb/modules/kdbm_debugtypes.c which is saying:

* Usage:
* in order for the insmod kdbm_debugtypes.ko to succeed in loading types
* you must first use lcrash -t kerntypes.xxxx -o debug_info
* and echo debug_info > /proc/kdb/debug_info_name

so I have to generate kerntypes file. I looked into init/kerntypes.c,
it seems there is nothing but just includes some header files, like
below:

16 #include <linux/compile.h>
17 #include <linux/module.h>
18 #include <linux/mm.h>
19 #include <linux/vmalloc.h>
20 #include <linux/config.h>
21 #include <linux/utsname.h>
22 #include <linux/kernel_stat.h>
23 #include <linux/dump.h>
24
25 #include <asm/kerntypes.h>

We can see here are 9 files are included, does this mean the resulted
Kerntypes file only provides kernel structures that are defined within
these 9 files? If I want to print out more kernel structures I need to
change this file so as to include more header files?

In addition, if I want to generate Kerntypes file via building a
mainline kernel(rather than SLES kernel), the only thing I need to do
is:
1. add this init/kerntypes.c and include/asm/kerntypes.h into kernel
source code.
2. change the Makefile accordingly.

After that I just compile the kernel as usual and I should be able to
get the Kerntypes file(which is actually nothing but just
init/kerntypes.o), right?

Regards
Jason