    SubjectRe: Clarification of allowed context for crypto routines
    Andrey Borzenkov <> wrote:
    > As I can understand, user context requirement is due to potential for
    > setkey to sleep (although it appears, that currently the only module
    > that can sleep is shash which is calling kmalloc with GFP_KERNEL). Is it
    > correct?

    > But where is the difference between hard and softirq contexts? I fail to
    > see any technical reason for this requirement.

    The reasons are two-fold:

    1) Crypto operations are so slow in general that if you did them
    in hard IRQ context it would just be wrong;

    2) The highmem primitives we use are currently softirq only. We
    could make them work for hardirq as well, but because of 1) we

    Visit Openswan at
    Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <>
    Home Page:
    PGP Key:

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-23 23:35    [W:0.021 / U:17.372 seconds]