    SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 0/9] Hardware Breakpoint interfaces - v4
    On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, K.Prasad wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Please find the new set of patches that introduce kernel
    > interfaces to use Hardware Breakpoint registers and an implementation
    > for x86 (and x86_64) architecture, now labelled as Version IV.
    >
    > The patches are based on 2.6.29-rc2 and have been tested to work fine on
    > x86 architecture. Some of the major changes over the previous version of
    > patches include:
    > i) A sample kernel module that uses Data Hardware breakpoint over a
    > kernel variable to monitor write operations. See
    > samples/hw_breakpoint/data_breakpoint.c.
    > ii) Changes in the register_kernel_hw_breakpoint() interface to accept
    > only one parameter - pointer to a 'hw_breakpoint' structure which will
    > contain all relevant data members.

    I see some problems with this immediately. Firstly, as a result of
    this change the sample code in include/asm-generic/hw_breakpoint.h is
    now incorrect. You need to change the comments when you change the
    code.

    Second, your arch_store_info() routine is broken. It checks for a
    kernel symbol name even if when a userspace breakpoint is being
    registered. You should move that check up into validate_settings().

    As a related matter, why did you put the "name" field into the
    arch-dependent part? Clearly it should be arch-independent.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2009-01-22 16:45    [W:0.021 / U:31.476 seconds]