SubjectRe: [Bug #12465] KVM guests stalling on 2.6.28 (bisected)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Avi Kivity wrote:

> > > It means, a scheduling problem. Can you run the latency tracer (which
> > > only works with realtime priority), so we can tell if it is (a) kvm
> > > failing to wake up the vcpu properly or (b) the scheduler delaying the
> > > vcpu from running.
> > >

> > Sorry, but are you sure that's going to be useful?
> >
> > If it only works on realtime threads and I'm not seeing the problem when
> > running kvm with realtime priority, is this going to tell you what you
> > want to know?
> >
> > Not trying to be difficult, but that just didn't make sense to me.
> >

> You're right, wasn't thinking properly.
>
> This is a tough one. I'll see if I can think of something. Ingo, any ideas?

I should have replied to this email :-)

Yeah, I'm working on making wakeup latency tracer work with non rt tasks.

The "wakeup" tracer will now trace all tasks where as a new "wakeup_rt"
tracer will only trace rt tasks. I did it for rt tasks only because it
only records the highest latency wake ups and the non rt tasks were always
bigger than the rt tasks which made what I was tracing useless (the rt
scheduling).

But by not having an option for all tasks, it makes the wakeup tracer
useless for everyone else ;-)

-- Steve

  Last update: 2009-01-21 16:17    [W:0.509 / U:0.008 seconds]