    SubjectRe: lockdep and debug objects together are broken?

    * Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:

    > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:11:47PM +0100, Vegard Nossum wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I've had a problem frustrating my testing because lockdep was silently turning
    > > > itself off... I patched out the code to disable lockdep after the first error,
    > > > and it started showing up weird errors. kernel/fork.c:990 seemed to be the
    > > > first to trigger (hard irqs disabled) from a call_usermodehelper call. Later,
    > > > migration thread was reported to try to unlock rq->lock although it was
    > > > holding no locks. Then init was reported to return to userspace without
    > > > releasing an objectdebug hash lock.
    > > >
    > > > All that went away and everything seemed to work properly with debug objects
    > > > configured out.
    > > >
    > > > I didn't get too far in trying to debug the problem. But it should be easy
    > > > enough to reproduce (if not, I can post traces or test patches).
    > >
    > > I just built a kernel with lockdep and debugobjects enabled, and
    > > everything seemed fine. I think you should post your kernel version,
    > > config, and the lockdep patch (if needed -- it didn't seem to turn
    > > itself off here).
    >
    > Are you sure? Ie. sysrq+D a still works properly? In that case, you
    > wouldn't need the lockdep patch because it just prevents the feature from being
    > switched off.
    >
    > I'll have to dig a bit further, then. The annoying thing is that
    > lockdep turns itself off at the drop of a hat (and this particular
    > problem seems to happen without any backtraces), so it invalidates
    > all your lockdep testing if you don't realise it has turned itself
    > off.
    >
    > Is there a way to re-arm lockdep? That would be neat.

    Not at the moment, and it looks somewhat complicated. All lock state
    freezes the moment lockdep disarms itself. That's very much a key design
    element: rarely will you see any real lockdep-inflicted crash - even if it
    has a bug it is self-disabling itself and running for the door very
    efficiently.

    So by the time you'd rearm, there's a lot of tasks with no proper locking
    state built up. We might be able to re-arm via stop_machine_run perhaps.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-01-21 12:45    [W:0.056 / U:61.868 seconds]