    Subjectlmbench lat_mmap slowdown with CONFIG_PARAVIRT
    Hi,

    I'm looking at regressions since 2.6.16, and one is lat_mmap has slowed
    down. On further investigation, a large part of this is not due to a
    _regression_ as such, but the introduction of CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y.

    Now, it is true that lat_mmap is basically a microbenchmark, however it
    is exercising the memory mapping and page fault handler paths, so we're
    talking about pretty important paths here. So I think it should be of
    interest.

    I've run the tests on a 2s8c AMD Barcelona system, binding the test to
    CPU0, and running 100 times (stddev is a bit hard to bring down, and
    my scripts needed 100 runs in order to pick up much smaller changes in
    the results -- for CONFIG_PARAVIRT, just a couple of runs should show
    up the problem).

    Times I believe are in nanoseconds for lmbench, anyway lower is better.

    non pv AVG=464.22 STD=5.56
    paravirt AVG=502.87 STD=7.36

    Nearly 10% performance drop here, which is quite a bit... hopefully people
    are testing the speed of their PV implementations against non-PV bare
    metal :)

    CPU: AMD64 family10, speed 2000 MHz (estimated)
    Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Cycles outside of halt state) with a unit mask of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 10000
    samples % symbol name
    BASE
    49749 32.6336 read_tsc
    10151 6.6587 __up_read
    7363 4.8299 unmap_vmas
    7072 4.6390 mnt_drop_write
    4107 2.6941 do_page_fault
    4090 2.6829 rb_get_reader_page
    3601 2.3621 apic_timer_interrupt
    3537 2.3202 set_page_dirty
    3435 2.2532 mnt_want_write
    3302 2.1660 default_idle
    2990 1.9613 idle_cpu
    2904 1.9049 file_update_time
    2789 1.8295 set_page_dirty_balance
    2712 1.7790 retint_swapgs
    2455 1.6104 __do_fault
    2231 1.4635 release_pages
    1989 1.3047 rb_buffer_peek
    1895 1.2431 ring_buffer_consume
    1572 1.0312 handle_mm_fault
    1554 1.0194 put_page
    1461 0.9584 sync_buffer
    1196 0.7845 clear_page_c
    1145 0.7511 rb_advance_reader
    1144 0.7504 hweight64
    1084 0.7111 getnstimeofday
    1076 0.7058 __set_page_dirty_no_writeback
    1020 0.6691 mark_page_accessed
    751 0.4926 tick_do_update_jiffies64

    CONFIG_PARAVIRT
    8924 7.8849 native_safe_halt
    8823 7.7957 native_read_tsc
    6201 5.4790 default_spin_lock_flags
    5806 5.1300 unmap_vmas
    3996 3.5307 handle_mm_fault
    3954 3.4936 rb_get_reader_page
    3752 3.3151 __do_fault
    2908 2.5694 getnstimeofday
    2303 2.0348 apic_timer_interrupt
    2183 1.9288 find_busiest_group
    2057 1.8175 do_page_fault
    2057 1.8175 hweight64
    2017 1.7821 set_page_dirty
    1926 1.7017 get_next_timer_interrupt
    1781 1.5736 release_pages
    1702 1.5038 native_pte_val
    1620 1.4314 native_sched_clock
    1588 1.4031 rebalance_domains
    1558 1.3766 run_timer_softirq
    1531 1.3527 __down_read_trylock
    1505 1.3298 native_pmd_val
    1445 1.2767 find_get_page
    1369 1.2096 find_next_bit
    1356 1.1981 __ticket_spin_lock
    1225 1.0824 shmem_getpage
    1169 1.0329 radix_tree_lookup_slot
    1166 1.0302 vm_normal_page
    987 0.8721 scheduler_tick

      Last update: 2009-01-20 12:09    [W:0.023 / U:179.012 seconds]