SubjectRE: Mainline kernel OLTP performance update
Gregory Haskins [mailto:ghaskins@novell.com] wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 11:00 -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >> So if the reschedule interrupt is happening twice as often, and the
> >> context switch rate is basically unchanged, I guess that means the
> >> scheduler is doing a lot more work to get approximately the same
> >> results. And that seems like a bad thing.
>
> I would be very interested in gathering some data in this area. One
> thing that pops to mind is to instrument the resched-ipi with
> ftrace_printk() and gather a trace of this system in action. I assume
> that I wouldn't have access to this OLTP suite, so I may need a
> volunteer to try this for me. I could put together an instrumentation
> patch for the testers convenience if they prefer.

I don't know whether Novell have an arrangement with the Well-Known Commercial Database and the Well-Known OLTP Benchmark to do runs like this. Chinang is normally only too happy to build his own kernels with patches from people who are interested in helping, so that's probably the best way to do it.

I'm leaving for LCA in an hour or so, so further responses from me to this thread are unlikely ;-)

  Last update: 2009-01-15 19:51    [W:0.204 / U:0.096 seconds]