SubjectRe: [PULL -tip] fixed few make headers_check warnings
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:11:34PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
>
> > So when I see "capability.h: extern's make no sense in userspace" the
> > perfect approach would be that the whole file was checked.
> >
> > This is a much bigger task that just removing the warning.
>
> The problem is, you just littered the kernel with a ton of warnings and
> declared that fixing them is a 'much bigger task'.
>
> It's not good to start projects like this, because they simply never
> finish. It's _much_ better to first reach a zero baseline via minimal
> fixes, then enforce 'look at the whole thing' for all _NEW_ files and
> changes.
>
> That's how we are using checkpatch in the -tip topics, and it's working
> very nicely.
>
> Could we please start it like that?

I would have done such have I had more time to do this stuff.
Real life just hit me after vacation finished and deadline approaching.

I can disable the warnings around -rc7 if we think they are too noisy
when we release the next kernel.

Sam

  Last update: 2009-01-15 15:39    [W:0.066 / U:0.428 seconds]