    SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 fixes

    * Torsten Kaiser <> wrote:

    > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Ingo Molnar <> wrote:
    > > The reason why we wanted to re-test the functional changes was that
    > > Torsten's crash looks very weird: double Call Trace line, a crash in the
    > > scsi/ata code, showing the after-effects of some sort of memory corruption
    > > there.
    > The double Call Trace: line was a copy&paste error on my part. Its not
    > there in the original oops.
    > Sorry for that...

    ah, ok - that's fine.

    I was just wondering whether it was two CPUs crashing at once and
    producing an overlap - or something like that. (although typically in that
    case we dont get such nice line duplication - we get totally garbled
    output of the two oopses superimposed.)

    It's just that when an oops looks weird we have to look at every small
    detail, to be able to imagine the unimaginable.

    Bugs you cannot even imagine are the toughest nuts usually, as the process
    of debugging narrows imagination usually - often it involves repetitive
    automatisms which are not helpful in expanding your thoughts to cover
    tricky, unusual bugs.

    If an oops looks difficult there's a way out of that trap: co-debug in
    duos if you can - the same folks rarely get unimaginative for the very
    same detail. (Or put it aside and leave it for the next morning - to flush
    out the invisible temporary mental dead-ends one has installed
    subconsciously and which are blocking you from reaching the real

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-12 23:07    [W:0.035 / U:0.352 seconds]