SubjectRe: checkpatch warning of struct indentation
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 01:35:43PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Fr?d?ric Weisbecker wrote:
>
> > 2009/1/12 Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm now seeing the following warnings from checkpatch:
> > >
> > > #325: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:21:
> > > + void *stat;
> > >
> > > ERROR: "foo *bar" should be "foo *bar"
> > > #334: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:27:
> > > + struct tracer_stat *ts;
> > >
> > > ERROR: "foo *bar" should be "foo *bar"
> > > #337: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:30:
> > > + struct dentry *file;
> >

> > Oh my patch :-)
> > Yeah I had the same errors when I checked it. I ignored them because
> > I because I remembered checkpatch.pl didn't warn about such things before.
> > And it seems to warn about such statements since very recently...
>
> Heh, I should have CC'd you on this complaint ;-)
>
> Yeah, this is a new warning and since we do a lot of these types of
> indentation, and they are marked as "ERROR", I would like to see these go
> away. Perhaps they need to test for parenthesis, so:
>
> int func(foo *bar)
>
> gets caught.
>

> [off topic, funny English grammar]
>
> I noticed that you said:
>
> And it seems to warn about such statements since very recently
>
> This sounds strange. I know in German (and I know you are not German, but
> it's what I have most experience with) the word "seit" gets translated
> into "since" for such statements as above. A lot of Germans that I know
> make this funny sounding phrase. I would have written it like:
>
> And, recently, it seems to warn about such statements.
>
> Don't take this as a criticism. I'm the last person to criticize anyone's
> grammar. For being an English speaking native, my grammar sucks ;-)
> And your statement may indeed be correct grammar. It just sounds a little
> funny to me.
>
> In a lot of cases, (for Germans) "seit" can correctly be translated into
> "since" but there are times that it just sounds funny.
>
> A common phrase from Germans are:
>
> I've been doing this since three years.
>
> Just an observation, carry on ;-)
>
> -- Steve

Hehe. Yes, I always hesitate when I have to talk about elapsed time,
especially when it is an uncertain time...
And French/German are often confused with "since" and "for" while in
french we have only "depuis" and in german: "seit"...

Thanks, I'm always glad to be corrected in my english, hoping
it will be fixed by the time... :-)