SubjectRe: checkpatch warning of struct indentation

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Fr?d?ric Weisbecker wrote:

> 2009/1/12 Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm now seeing the following warnings from checkpatch:
> >
> > #325: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:21:
> > + void *stat;
> >
> > ERROR: "foo *bar" should be "foo *bar"
> > #334: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:27:
> > + struct tracer_stat *ts;
> >
> > ERROR: "foo *bar" should be "foo *bar"
> > #337: FILE: kernel/trace/trace_stat.c:30:
> > + struct dentry *file;
>

> Oh my patch :-)
> Yeah I had the same errors when I checked it. I ignored them because
> I because I remembered checkpatch.pl didn't warn about such things before.
> And it seems to warn about such statements since very recently...

Heh, I should have CC'd you on this complaint ;-)

Yeah, this is a new warning and since we do a lot of these types of
indentation, and they are marked as "ERROR", I would like to see these go
away. Perhaps they need to test for parenthesis, so:

int func(foo *bar)

gets caught.

[off topic, funny English grammar]

I noticed that you said:

And it seems to warn about such statements since very recently

This sounds strange. I know in German (and I know you are not German, but
it's what I have most experience with) the word "seit" gets translated
into "since" for such statements as above. A lot of Germans that I know
make this funny sounding phrase. I would have written it like:

And, recently, it seems to warn about such statements.

Don't take this as a criticism. I'm the last person to criticize anyone's
grammar. For being an English speaking native, my grammar sucks ;-)
And your statement may indeed be correct grammar. It just sounds a little
funny to me.

In a lot of cases, (for Germans) "seit" can correctly be translated into
"since" but there are times that it just sounds funny.

A common phrase from Germans are:

I've been doing this since three years.

Just an observation, carry on ;-)

-- Steve