    SubjectRe: How to access a regular file from within a module ?
    On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 19:44 -0800, Jose Luis Marchetti wrote:

    > I would like to open/read/write/close a regular file from my device
    > driver.

    No, you probably wouldn't :) Generally, this is recommended against
    because there are many better ways to do it:

    * Create an interface and have userspace set the parameter (ethtool,
    ifconfig - the latter can already set MAC addresses)

    * Create entries in sysfs and have uevents cause various activities,
    including having the response being some file gets loaded (firmware).

    Since it looks like you just want to set the MAC address, I suggest
    looking at how this is already done, then rely upon users using ifconfig
    correctly to set the desired address. There should be no reason to have
    a kernel-side network driver reading from a file.

    [NOTE: If you're doing embedded development and you don't have an EEPROM
    on your board, and you're asking this because someone told you to find
    the cheapest and nastiest solution in software, then look at passing in
    the desired MAC via the firmware, as many embedded boards already do. ]

    Jon.

      Last update: 2009-01-11 06:39    [W:0.021 / U:2.504 seconds]