SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:39:20PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>
> > > At least IMHO.
> > >
> > > ( What could _perhaps_ change the picture a bit IMO is drivers/staging/ i
> > > think - we could take a far more active role in certain types of
> > > projects that have been done out of tree typically, with no formal
> > > promise for compatibility - or something like that. )
> >
> > So if staging would have existed +one year ago, we should probably have
> > included squashfs 3.3 at that time, and just have moved it to fs/ once
> > the V4 layout was finished?
>
> might have been a possibility - although there's a notable absence of any
> filesystem drivers in the latest drivers/staging/ set.
>
> Greg, is that just accidental (no one has submitted one yet) or is it some
> sort of policy?

I was wanting to stick with drivers to start with, but I really have no
objection to adding filesystems, if they are self-contained, to the
drivers/staging/ directory.

I looked at adding squashfs, but at the time, it touched other portions
of the kernel which wouldn't have made it a good canidate for staging.
This was later resolved, and now that it is merged, it's a moot issue :)

So, if anyone wants to send me filesystems, I'll be glad to take them
into drivers/staging, as long as they are self-contained (novfs for
example would fit this category.)

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2009-01-11 17:43    [W:2.976 / U:0.000 seconds]