SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I think squashfs usage would be similar - you'd not have squashfs as a
> standalone media, it would be a "installation medium" thing.

Plenty of existing, active squashfs use on router firewall standalone
media. Here is my home router running unmodified OpenWRT:

root@gw:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock/4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw)
mini_fo:/jffs on / type mini_fo (rw)

The squashfs area stores the vast majority of the system; log files and
other writable updates to the router go into the smaller jffs2
filesystem. Symlinks stitch the whole mess together.

It will be nice to finally get squashfs in the kernel, since it is
actively used all over the place in embedded projects like OpenWRT.

Regards,

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans