SubjectRe: kernel bug in openSUSE 11.1 64 bit
Roland -

Your suggestion was the key that solved my problem.

In short, the problem does not appear to be in the openSUSE 11.1
release, but instead in the version of bios I happened to have on
my D945GCLF2 board. Upgrading from bios version 0099 to 0122
allowed me to do a totally trouble-free upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 (64 bit).

I have added a closing note to the forum article.

So, thank you (and you also, Jesper) for your helpful suggestions
and have a very Happy New Year!

Sincerely,
John Dierks

Roland wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> do you see any relation to this one ?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/279186
>
> do you use the latest bios for that board?
> if not,maybe you could try if that helps ?
>
> regards
> Roland
>

> List: linux-kernel
> Subject: kernel bug in openSUSE 11.1 64 bit
> From: John Dierks <j.dierks () Verizon ! net>
> Date: 2008-12-28 22:14:12
> [Download message RAW]
>
> Greetings -
>
> I am a newbie and not familiar with the accepted way of posting bugs,
> so I am simply sending you a link to the appropriate forum discussion.
>
> I believe we have a kernel bug in the released version of openSUSE 11.1
> (64 bit).
>
> I have confirmed what another user (ansbar) found: Any attempt to
> install 64 bit
> 11.1 from DVD or NET media onto a D945GCLF2 platform results in a
> kernel oops soon after the version of kernel supplied with the
> distribution
> loads and runs.
>
> As an aside, the platform I attempted to upgrade currently is running
> 11.0 (64 bit),
> which has been running without any evidence of problems.
>
> I hope the discussion gives you enough info to go on. If not, feel
> free to
> ask questions. Here's the link:
>

> http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/402136-kernel-panic-11-1-64bit.html
>

> Thanks,
> John Dierks
> --

  Last update: 2009-01-01 18:55    [W:0.042 / U:7.584 seconds]