    SubjectRe: Enable CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND by default or some mobile HD can't be unplugged safely

    Yan Li wrote:
    > Hello List,
    > By default CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is not enabled and today I got bite by
    > this when I got a new WDC My Book hard drive. I have no way to unplug
    > it safely, according to it's manual, with a kernel that doesn't have
    > On it's manual read "you should unplug and remove the device only when
    > the light is off." On Linux unmounting it won't turn it's light off
    > and I can feel it's motor is still running. The only way to unplug it
    > properly on a Linux system, as to my knowledge, is to echo `suspend'
    > to `/sys/bus/usb/devices/$DEV/power/level'. And one has to have
    > CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y to do this.
    > On Windows and Mac OS, `safely remove this device' function effectly
    > turns it into `suspend' mode, and it's light off.

    You have obviously tested only Windows XP, because Vista doesn't cut the
    power for at least some USB devices. And congratulations for obtaining a
    Vista-incompatible hard drive (of course, joking).

    BTW, does the "eject /dev/$DEV" command help?

    Alexander E. Patrakov

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-01 18:37    [W:0.021 / U:216.408 seconds]