SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Guilt v0.31
Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 08.09.2008 21:17:
> "Bert Wesarg" <bert.wesarg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I must admit, that I don't like these extra tarballs with docs. I
>> always expect, that the manpages are nicely installed if I type 'make
>> install' (or at least with a install-doc target). But I need to
>> download this extra package, and extract it to the right place, there
>> is no Makefile whatsoever. In case of git its really annoying, because
>> the help mechanism is relying on the manpages (i.e. git help <cmd> or
>> git <cmd> --help, but you know this).
>
> There is no need to feel "it[']s really annoying", as install-doc from the
> tarball distribution works out of the box.
>
> I used 1.6.0.1 in the demonstration below, but this is nothing new in that
> version but has been like this for quite some time (it is how sample RPMs
> binary packages are built, so the procedure ought to work):
>
> $ ls -1 /usr/bin/git ;# to show there is no other "git" on this box
> ls: /usr/bin/git: No such file or directory
> $ mkdir /var/tmp/16
> $ cd /var/tmp/16
> $ wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.6.0.1.tar.gz
> $ tar xf git-1.6.0.1.tar.gz
> $ cd git-1.6.0.1
> $ make prefix=/var/tmp/16test install install-doc
> $ PATH=/var/tmp/16test/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
> $ export PATH
> $ unset MANPATH
> $ git help cat-file | cat -s | tail -n 8
> Reformatting git-cat-file(1), please wait...
> DOCUMENTATION
> Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list
> <git@vger.kernel.org>.
>
> GIT
> Part of the git(1) suite
>
> Git 1.6.0.1 09/08/2008 GIT-CAT-FILE(1)

This works because you have the full toolchain, especially xmlto.
asciidoc'ing directly to man (bypassing xmlto) may help some of us.

> The extra tarballs for documentation are also given as courtesy because
> they are supposed to be platform independent and some people do not want
> to generate them themselves (even though they could).
>
> Either be thankful for the availability of tarballs, or ignore them and
> generate them yourself --- it's your choice.

He might want an install target which installs doc from the doc-tarball
or from the man- and html-branches. Be it a Makefile in those
convenience branches. I know it's just a tar or cpio away, of course. I
might look at a Makefile for the doc branches.

Michael

  Last update: 2008-09-09 12:13    [W:0.399 / U:0.168 seconds]