    SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 fixes
    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:02:49 +0200, Ingo Molnar said:

    > ... and so on it goes with this argument. Everyone has a different
    > target audience and there's no firm limit. Maybe what makes more sense
    > is to have some sort of time dependency:
    > support all x86 CPUs released in the last year
    > support all x86 CPUs released in the past 5 years
    > support all x86 CPUs released in the past 10 years
    > support all x86 CPUs released ever
    > [ ... or configure a specific model ]
    > and people/distributions would use _those_ switches. That means we could
    > continuously tweak those targets, as systems become obsolete and new
    > CPUs arrive.

    That's just *asking* for flame mail if somebody builds a kernel for a system
    that's 4 year 9 months old, and he builds a kernel 6 months later, and it fails
    to boot because the CPU is now 3 months out and we've deprecated it...

    Quick - what year/month was the CPU you're using now released? No peeking. ;)

    (For the record, I have no *clue* when Intel actually released the Core2 T7200,
    which is a whole *nother* can of worms - the chip release date can be quite
    some time before the system vendor ships, and when the consumer actually buys
    it - it's quite possible that we can write "released in the past 5 years",
    a user looks at it and says "I bought this system 4 years 2 months ago", and
    think he's OK, but he's not because he bought a system released 4 years 9 months
    ago that used a chipset released 5 years 6 months ago...
      Last update: 2008-09-08 22:29    [W:0.021 / U:1.952 seconds]