SubjectRe: [2.6.27] overlapping early reservations [was: early exception - lockdep related?]
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@kernel.org> wrote:
>
>> Peter Zijlstra wrote:

>>> Suppose it is, lets ask hpa..
>>>

>> It definitely looks like it.
>
> yeah. Kernel is loaded at the standard 2MB physical, and goes up to
> 13.6MB physical. That's a tad large at 11.6 MB but still valid.
>
> ramdisk image goes from 11.6 MB to 14.9 MB - roughly standard size. That
> overlaps 2 MB into the kernel image so we have to panic. LILO should
> have loaded the ramdisk somewhere else. (or should have aborted the boot
> if it cannot do that)
>
> We could perhaps print a prominent warning, delay the boot for 5 seconds
> or so via mdelay(5000) and simply not load the ramdisk if this happens?
> The kernel is obviously still functional - and such a large vmlinuz
> likely has all the built-in drivers to boot up to user-space - the lack
> of the ramdisk does not necessarily hurt .

wonder if lilo is fixing bzImage from 1M, and when it is calculating
pos of ramdisk...base that
later on-same-position uncompressing, put vmlinux from 2M...

it seems kexec is puting initrd as high as possible, or could specify
the ramdisk postion ..

wonder if new lilo could help.

YH

  Last update: 2008-09-06 18:17    [W:0.069 / U:0.748 seconds]