SubjectRe: Marvel IDE 88SE6101 2.4.XX support

Hello,

Thanks, Alan for your comment about Marvell PATA IDE driver.
In this time I'm a litle bit busy and do not have time to backport driver
in 2.4 probably after a time I'll try (I'm not a profesional C programer
and it is litle hard to me). I correct generic IDE patch and send you in
the attached file.

I make also patch to update e1000 driver in the 2.4 kernel to e1000-7.6.5 and
add support for:
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)
Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

But I'm not sure if there are any license violations and any other person
who manage network drivers to send it to him. If you know something about
it please tell me to send the patch for testing and e.t.c.

Best Regards,
Ivaylo Josifov

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:36:25PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 21:26:12 +0300 (EEST)
>> ivaylo@bglans.net wrote:
>>

>>> Another one small patch to support Marvel IDE 88SE6101 controler. I have
>>> one on Intel DG33BU motherboard. It is detect as
>>> 02:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6101 single-port
>>> PATA133 interface (rev b2)
>>
>> Its a pretty generic device - see drivers/ata/pata_marvell.c so IDE
>> generic will probably do roughly the right things. The pata_marvell
>> driver documents how to do cable detect, which you may want to add and
>> make it its own driver.
>
> Indeed, your driver is clear enough to serve as a doc. Looking at
> ata_piix.c in 2.4, I see that the libata core has evolved a lot,
> but backporting your work should not be hard at all. Among other
> things, the driver needs to set ap->cbl itself during reset, for
> instance.
>
> However, I wonder if it's really worth doing it if the IDE generic
> driver already works. The PATA port on such motherboards today is
> mostly used by CD/DVD, and I think that even if we limit ourselves
> to 40-pin, it's not dramatic (all my IDE CD drives have always been
> running that way for ages).
>
> Or maybe this would be more interesting for other chips of the same
> family ?
>
> Ivaylo, if you're interested in trying to backport pata_marvell.c
> from 2.6 to 2.4, that's fine for me, just inform me so that I know
> I'm waiting for you. Otherwise I can merge your IDE generic patch.
> In this case, could you repost your patch after fixing the name
> "MARVEL" in the PCI IDs (=> "MARVELL") ?
>
> Thanks,
> Willy
>[unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

  Last update: 2008-09-05 12:41    [W:0.115 / U:0.048 seconds]