    SubjectRe: frame unwinder patches
    On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 11:24:16AM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
    > On Thursday 04 September 2008 21:13:58 Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > Bernd Schubert <bs@q-leap.de> writes:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > up to 2.6.22 the -mm series had these nice frame unwinder patches,
    > > > which gave beautiful stack traces. Unfortunately these frame unwinder
    > > > patches seem to have been dropped :(
    > > >
    > > > Anyone still maintaining updated patches?
    > >
    > > The SUSE kernel rpm should have an uptodate set
    > >
    > > (ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/HEAD )
    > >

    > Thanks Andi, found it! If someone else needs it, the correct path is
    > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/HEAD.

    Thanks for the correction.

    > > I agree that they were much better than the current unwinder,
    > > also they didn't require slowing down the kernel with
    > > frame pointers.
    >
    > What it the reason this patch isn't mainline? It provides better traces,
    > doesn't slow down the kernel (which is important in our HPC envirement), so
    > what is the disadvantage?

    The initial version that was merged had a few teething problems because
    it ran into tool chain bugs (which were quickly resolved). Unfortunately
    it lead to a few people developing irrational fears of dwarf2 in the
    process and it was reverted, annoying the original contributor.
    Right now someone would just need to retry the submission I guess.

    -Andi

    --
    ak@linux.intel.com

      Last update: 2008-09-05 11:43    [W:0.026 / U:149.464 seconds]