SubjectRe: [NFS] blocks of zeros (NULLs) in NFS files in kernels >= 2.6.20
Date
On Sep 5, 2008, at Sep 5, 2008, 4:04 PM, Aaron Straus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sep 05 03:56 PM, Chuck Lever wrote:
>> [ replacing cc: nfs@sf.net with linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org, and neil's
>> old address with his current one ]
>
> Sorry I probably grabbed an old MAINTAINERS file.
>
>> On Sep 5, 2008, at Sep 5, 2008, 3:19 PM, Aaron Straus wrote:
>>> Writer_Version Outcome:
>>> <= 2.6.19 OK
>>
>> Up to which kernel? Recent ones may address this issue already.
>
> BAD up to 2.6.27-rc?
>
> I have to see exactly which is the last rc version I tested.
>
>>> I can try to bisect between 2.6.19 <-> 2.6.20.
>>
>> That's a good start.
>
> OK will try to bisect.
>
>> Comparing a wire trace with strace output, starting with the writing
>> client, might also be illuminating. We prefer wireshark as it uses
>> good default trace settings, parses the wire bytes and displays them
>> coherently, and allows you to sort the frames in various useful ways.
>
> OK. Could you also try to reproduce on your side using those python
> programs? I want to make sure it's not something specific with our
> mounts, etc.

I have the latest Fedora 9 kernels on two clients, mounting via NFSv3
using "actimeo=600" (for other reasons). The server is OpenSolaris
2008.5.

reader.py reported zeroes in the test file after about 5 minutes.

Looking at the file a little later, I don't see any problems with it.

Since your scripts are not using any kind of serialization (ie file
locking) between the clients, I wonder if non-determinant behavior is
to be expected.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

  Last update: 2008-09-05 22:43    [W:0.112 / U:0.812 seconds]