    SubjectRe: [patch] Add basic sanity checks to the syscall execution patch
    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:43:31 +0200
    pageexec@freemail.hu wrote:

    > consider how your whole patch is based on one big self-contradiction.
    > you already assume that the attacker *can* modify arbitrary kernel
    > memory (even the otherwise *read-only* syscall table at that), but at
    > the very same time you're saying he *can't* use the same powers to
    > patch out your 'protection' or do many other things to evade it. as
    > it is, it's cargo cult security at its best, reminding one on the
    > Vista kernel's similar 'protection' mechanism for the service
    > descriptor tables...

    so I'm not going to say that the patch is important or good;
    it's the result of ben mentioning the idea on irc and me thinking "sure
    lets see what it would take and cost".
    Nothing more than that

    --
    If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2008-09-05 18:09    [W:0.078 / U:65.920 seconds]