SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] PNP: don't check disabled PCI BARs for conflicts in quirk_system_pci_resources()

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > so instead of the current hardcoded levels:
> >
> > core_initcall(sysctl_init);
> >
> > we could have natural constructs like:
> >
> > initcall_depends_on(sysctl_init, securityfs_init);
> > initcall_depends_on(sock_init, sysctl_init)
>
> would be a TOTAL DISASTER, because if you do that, then you are
> essentially back to the insane situation where people need to know
> what other parts are enabled.

well, as i mentioned it was and is on the backburner, because we went
over the same list of problems that you mentioned: harder to read and
interpret and debug, harder to reproduce boot ordering, etc.

but i'd still like the address the above specific point: it would be
silly to propagate Kconfig dependencies into the initcall dependencies,
why do you assume we'd do that?

When PROCFS or PNP is turned off, then their initcall symbols should
naturally alias to some NOP definition, a function that is immediately
marked as 'done'. We _already_ have NOP stubs for many initializer
symbols.

and note:

> > ( More details: we'd have a number of compatibility and convenience
> > symbols as well - well-known initialization stages for various
> > customary phases of bootup.

One convenience symbol would be "memory_done()": to indicate that
kmalloc() and all the other memory allocators are up and running and
usable.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-09-30 22:05    [W:0.175 / U:0.172 seconds]