SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kmemcheck fixlets (for -tip)

* Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> Here is the fixlets branch, including bitfields API. I think it would
> be very nice if you could make this a *separate* branch in -tip, say
> kmemcheck-fixlets or so, as it may touch any part of the kernel and
> doesn't carry the acks of those maintainers.
>
> With these patches, you should be able to include kmemcheck in
> auto-testing again. At least it works for me :-)

FYI, i've reactivated kmemcheck on one of the -tip auto-test boxes
earlier today and it's looking good so far - for example a 32-bit
allyesconfig-ish config booted in just fine with kmemcheck enabled.
Also, the box is very usable interactively - while previous one could
always tell whether there's kmemcheck active.

[ only one CPU is active, but we knew that. We've still got this
test-commit:

21d01a4: x86: add functions for duplicating page tables

it's not in tip/master but we still have it around. ]

btw., is there any easy way to tell from within a script what the
current status of kmemcheck is? In particular, whether it's running.
Normally i have this in the syslog:

[ 0.448022] kmemcheck: "Bugs, beware!"
[ 0.452002] kmemcheck: Limiting number of CPUs to 1.

but this time the log was too large so this bit was snipped out and i
was unsure about it - needed a second bootup with a larger buffer to
make sure. With lockdep we've got the 'debug_locks' /proc/lockdep_stats.

also, all kmemcheck warnings follow the usual WARN_ON() format, so that
automated tests can pick it up, correct? -tip testing does so many
bootups that there's no chance to notice non-system-crashing bugs and
printouts but via automated means.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-09-29 10:57    [W:0.121 / U:0.104 seconds]