    SubjectRe: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 / SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Gwendal Grignou wrote:
    >> About ata1:0 problem, as reported in the bugzilla bug: I would try to
    >> disable NCQ to see if it helps. Your disks firmware might not fully
    >> support it.
    >>
    >> You can either add the parameter "libata.force=noncq" when loading
    >> your kernel, or set queue_depth to 1 for all the Seagate drives behind
    >> the Marvell MV88SX6081 controller.
    >>
    >> About ata5:0 , someone - in user space probably - is trying to do a
    >> SMART ENABLE operation, but the device ignores it. I don't know which
    >> device you are using, but I assume it does not support ATA SMART
    >> feature set. Timeout is an acceptable but not a nice way to answer, a
    >> cancel would have been better; check if there is a firmware upgrade
    >> for your device.
    >>

    > You certainly called the SMART issue, I was wondering why a new
    > distribution install on some older hardware was getting all the errors,
    > clearly the Fedora "smartd" doesn't check SMART capability before trying
    > to enable the feature. Oddly the drive on which I see this does reply to
    > SMART requests, so the firmware must be "semi-functional." Not a
    > problem, in my case the drive is just used for testing handling of hot
    > swap, and has no data of any value.

    Can you post full kernel log including the boot messages and the error
    messages? Also, please attach the output of hdparm -I on the drive
    which fails the smart command.

    (cc'ing Bruce, hi!) Bruce, this is the second report I see about drive
    timing out SMART ENABLE OPERATIONS. Does anything ring a bell?

    Thanks.

    --
    tejun

      Last update: 2008-09-29 10:19    [W:5.488 / U:0.288 seconds]