SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-rc8
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So yet another week, another -rc. This one should be the last one: we're
> certainly not running out of regressions, but at the same time, at some
> point I just have to pick some point, and on the whole the regressions
> don't look _too_ scary. And -rc8 obviously does fix more of them.

If 2.6.27 is released with e1000e driver corrupting EEPROM contents on
many systems out there, rendering the cards unusable for most of the
i-am-not-a-hacker users (and remember, even Dave Airlie bricked his laptop
completely to death, when trying to restore eeprom contents), well, I
personally find that very scary.

Intel is working with us on tracking down and resolving the issue, but
this is not going as well as one would like to see (one attempt, one card
with completely hosed EEPROM contents ... and restoring the contents is
not *that* trivial).

Intel has some patches to mitigate the symptoms (even though we still
don't know who is causing the breakage, but Xorg is the biggest suspect in
my eyes), but they are neither in your tree nor in any other maintainer's
queue yet, as far as I know.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2008-09-30 01:37    [W:0.135 / U:1.504 seconds]