    SubjectRe: e1000e NVM corruption issue status
    On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:01:21PM -0700, Brandeburg, Jesse wrote:
    > > We have a series of kernel patches that I will reply to this mail with
    > > that may help users willing to test.
    > this is the current set of patches that I have to help us debug
    > and/or fix e1000e issues found during this debug effort for
    > the corrupt NVM. the "drop stats lock" - "reset swflag" patches allow
    > Thomas' patch for a mutex in the SWFLAG acquire function to run without
    > any errors.
    > the patches are not probably production quality, but seem to work
    > for myself and thomas on at least a couple of machines.
    > The non-debug aspects of the patches will likely be pushed later.
    > At this point I do not believe any of these patches will fix the
    > NVM corruption issue, but will add to the ability of any tester
    > to help find the issue, and reduce the chance that it is any issue we
    > (now) know about.

    A kernel with this these patches load the e1000e driver fine on
    a test machine which has a OK NVM checksum.

    But it freeze on one machine which has a wrong checksum.

    On this machine the NVM seems to be OK, but the NVM valid bit
    is cleared. If I would set this bit, the NVM checksum would be OK
    again. This is the T61 notebook which did show this error after
    openSUSE 11.1 Beta1 install after a reboot during X setup.

    Karsten Keil
    SuSE Labs
    ISDN and VOIP development
    SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr.5 90409 Nuernberg, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-26 16:25    [W:0.046 / U:6.072 seconds]