SubjectRe: e1000e NVM corruption issue status
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 07:01:21PM -0700, Brandeburg, Jesse wrote:
> > We have a series of kernel patches that I will reply to this mail with
> > that may help users willing to test.
>
> this is the current set of patches that I have to help us debug
> and/or fix e1000e issues found during this debug effort for
> the corrupt NVM. the "drop stats lock" - "reset swflag" patches allow
> Thomas' patch for a mutex in the SWFLAG acquire function to run without
> any errors.
>
> the patches are not probably production quality, but seem to work
> for myself and thomas on at least a couple of machines.
>
> The non-debug aspects of the patches will likely be pushed later.
>
> At this point I do not believe any of these patches will fix the
> NVM corruption issue, but will add to the ability of any tester
> to help find the issue, and reduce the chance that it is any issue we
> (now) know about.

A kernel with this these patches load the e1000e driver fine on
a test machine which has a OK NVM checksum.

But it freeze on one machine which has a wrong checksum.

On this machine the NVM seems to be OK, but the NVM valid bit
is cleared. If I would set this bit, the NVM checksum would be OK
again. This is the T61 notebook which did show this error after
openSUSE 11.1 Beta1 install after a reboot during X setup.

--
Karsten Keil
SuSE Labs

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans