SubjectRe: [Bug #11382] e1000e: 2.6.27-rc1 corrupts EEPROM/NVM
Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Jesse Barnes wrote:
>
>> However, the "Factory" log at #425480 *does* indicate that a GEM aware
>> 2D driver was loaded (the "[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter
>> 5" message indicates as much), but the kernel was definitely not GEM
>> aware otherwise the call would have succeeded. So that rules out GEM
>> proper, but it could still be a bug in one of the non-GEM paths in the
>> experimental xf86-video-intel bits the various distros seem to be
>> picking up.
>
> That was exactly the point I was trying to make, that these error paths
> will probably also need auditing, once we rule out the possibility of
> NVRAM being overwritten from kernelspace.

Okay, I just had a scary and hopefully stupid thought.

Especially Intel often has backchannels between the chipset and the
Ethernet controller for management functions -- anything from WoL to
IPMI -- generally over some kind of low-speed serial bus.

We're not in a situation where the EEPROM can be touched from the
chipset via the SMBus or some other non-CPU channel?

-hpa

  Last update: 2008-09-26 01:01    [W:0.443 / U:0.328 seconds]