SubjectRe: Differend udev names with different kernels
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 23:13:19 +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:

[...]

>> Initially, my intention was to find a unique name for the hard disk,
>> that stays even if the disk is changed from Firewire to USB. However,
>> this doesn't seem to be possible with a default udev.

[...]

> An alternative though would be filesystem labels or filesystem UUIDs, if
> unique and persistent identifiers at the filesystem level rather than at
> the block device level are sufficient for your needs.

Not really. My initial problem was that a volume sometimes came up very
late, so that the lvm2 initscript didn't activate that volume group. So
I wanted to wait for this specific disk during boot. Meanwhile, I
created an udev rule that uses the vendor and device name, which also
has the advantage of being the same when the disk is connected via
Firewire and USB (or, should be the same at least, I didn't test USB
yet).

Regards,
Tino

  Last update: 2008-09-25 23:27    [W:0.036 / U:0.316 seconds]