    SubjectRe: [patch] mm: pageable memory allocator (for DRM-GEM?)
    Keith Packard wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 00:19 -0700, Thomas Hellström wrote:
    >> If data is
    >> dirtied in VRAM or the page(s) got discarded
    >> we need new pages and to set up a copy operation.
    > Note that this can occur as a result of a suspend-to-memory transition
    > at which point *all* of the objects in VRAM will need to be preserved in
    > main memory, and so the pages aren't really 'freed', they just don't
    > need to have valid contents, but the system should be aware that the
    > space may be needed at some point in the future.
    Actually, I think the pages must be allowed to be freed, and that we
    don't put a requirement on "pageable" to keep
    swap-space slots for these pages. If we hit an OOM-condition during
    suspend-to-memory that's bad, but let's say we
    required "pageable" to keep swap space slots for us, the result would
    perhaps be that another device wasn't able to suspend, or a user-space
    program was killed due to lack of swap-space prior to suspend.

    I'm not really sure what's the worst situation, but my feeling is that
    we should not require swap-space to be reserved for VRAM, and abort the
    suspend operation if we hit OOM. That would, in the worst case, mean
    that people with non-UMA laptops and a too small swap partition would
    see their battery run out much quicker than they expected...

      Last update: 2008-09-25 17:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.232 seconds]