SubjectRe: Documentation on CFQ iosched parameters
Date
Am Dienstag, 23. September 2008 schrieb Aaron Carroll:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am searching documentation about CFQ io scheduler. I can't find it in
> > linux 2.6.26 Documentation directory.
> >
> > I found about these in german[1]:
> >
> > back_seek_max:16384
> > back_seek_penalty:2
> > fifo_expire_async:250
> > fifo_expire_sync:123
> > quantum:4
> >
> > But I am completely missing about these:
> >
> > slice_async:40
>
> Base length of an asynchronous queue timeslice (that is, how long the
> queue has to dispatch requests each round). The actual timeslice
> length is scaled by the I/O priority.

[...]

Thanks. As I do not find documentation about CFQ at all, I think I need to
create a new file from scratch... how about
Documentation/block/cfq-iosched.txt?

For that I need some more information about CFQ. I found the following
resources:

- CFQ V3 aka CFQ TS: http://lwn.net/Articles/143474/,
http://lwn.net/Articles/114770/ and posts by Jens,
http://lwn.net/Articles/113869/

- CFQ V2: Post by Jens, http://lwn.net/Articles/101029/

- CFQ: Post by Jens, http://lwn.net/Articles/22429/

- Documentation/block/as-iosched.txt / deadline-iosched.txt (as for how an IO
scheduler can be documented)

Would that be what I should read in order to write such an documentation?

How about the relevance of CFQ and CFQ v2 stuff? What of it would be good to
mention? I would like to limit documentation to what is still relevant for
the current implementation of the IO scheduler. Should I mention its
inheritance from SFQ - maybe in a small introduction and historic overview?

Ciao,
--
Martin Steigerwald - team(ix) GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90

  Last update: 2008-09-23 11:29    [W:0.048 / U:0.136 seconds]