SubjectRe: Unified tracing buffer
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Martin Bligh wrote:

> >> We have linux patches that sync the TSC on exit_idle. I'll see if I can get
> >> Michael to send them out.
> >
> > Are you sure that they sync it precicely enough that there is no user
> > space observable way of time going backwards between cores ?
>
> I think the tolerance is about 500 cycles. If that's not sufficient, I guess
> we'll have to either live with some slight misordering (which people have
> pointed out is kind of inevitable anyway) on these broken machines?
> It was sufficient for what we were using it for, but maybe not for everyone.

Well, I dont care about the trace reordering at all. I care about user
space visible time going backwards issues observed via the
gettimeofday vsyscall. 500 cycles should be fine, I doubt that we can
migrate in less than that :)

I guess you try this only for machines where the TSC runs with
constant frequency, right ?

Looking forward to your patches.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2008-09-23 22:07    [W:0.119 / U:0.056 seconds]