SubjectRe: [Patch -tip 0/4] Creation of the initcall tracer
2008/9/23 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>:
> Note that i've done a couple of small changes to your patches:
>
> - i've done the following renames:
>
> :1,$s/INITCALL_TRACER/BOOT_TRACER/g
> :1,$s/trace_initcall/trace_boot/g
> :1,$s/initcall_trace/boot_trace/g
>
> the reasoning: we eventually want to extend this new tracer to all
> things "bootup delay", not just initcalls - hence calling it an
> 'initcall tracer' would be too limiting.

That's right. It's a good thing.

> The goal is to help the Arjan's fastboot project to achieve 5 seconds
> to-GUI bootup times like this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7NxCM8ryF8
>
> [ Even if you know what a 5 seconds bootup is, you've got to check
> this "From Naught to Sixty in 5 seconds" video ;-) ]

Hehe! I wasn't aware of this project :)

> - there were a few overlong lines in the commit logs and in the Kconfig
> desciption - i fixed them up. You should check your email client and
> your editor for line length settings - currently you seem to have no
> line breaks at all.

That will be a great day when I will be able to send a not line/space
damaged patch :-)

> - I also corrected a few capitalization things in commit subject lines
> and corrected a few minor coding style errors - you can avoid these
> by running scripts/checkpatch.pl over your patches. Nothing overly
> serious - but you should diff against tip/master to see what the
> changes are.

Hmm I ran this script and it warned about a non conventional format
(%Lu instead of %llu). Since I picked it from the printk in main.c
I thought that was a false warning. Ok I will remember about correct
format for the next times.

> i've integrated tip/tracing/fastboot into tip/master and have started
> testing it. It passed the basic tests already so i've just pushed out
> the new tip/master. Please double-check that i have not messed up the
> rename or the integration somewhere.

I can't test the master branch yet. But as far as I read the diff, it
seems correct.

> all in one, nice stuff!

Thanks Ingo :)
I will improve it as I can...

  Last update: 2008-09-23 13:45    [W:0.079 / U:0.552 seconds]