    SubjectRe: Unified tracing buffer
    * Peter Zijlstra (a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl) wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 05:03 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    >
    > > Oh, and all commands should start with the namespace.
    > >
    > > ring_buffer_alloc()
    > > ring_buffer_free()
    > > ring_buffer_record_event()
    >
    > I really think we should separate the ringbuffer management from the
    > event stuff.

    Sure, I am strongly in favor of separating those two, given they
    represent two different things. However, the requirement I have heard at
    KS2008 was to provide

    - Unified buffering mechanism
    - Timestamps synchronized across all buffers
    - Unified event IDs management, so events from various sources could be
    shared between tools.
    - As of my understanding, unified event structure, which can be exported
    to userspace and be shared across different tools.
    - Unified buffer control/management mechanism.

    These all represent different infrastructure parts, but are all needed
    if we want tools to be able to share the data exported through those
    buffers.

    Relay is a good example of having only a _single_ of these layers in
    common : there is currently no way the different relay users can share
    the data they collect because they have simply no idea how others
    structure their data.

    Mathieu

    --
    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2008-09-23 04:39    [W:0.022 / U:1.904 seconds]